[geeks] Re: [SunRescue] Help!

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Apr 19 17:13:19 CDT 2001

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 04:44:12PM -0500, Reagen Ward wrote:
> Killall?  I know a few UNIX flavors that have it, but it's for doing
> just that, killing ALL processes.  I was very surprised to find it on a
> linux distro and have it be a user command.  One of the example scripts
> in Kernigan and Pike's "Unix Programming Environment" is the zap
> command, which is exactly what you want.

I discovered the "killall" behavior on IRIX the hard way.

"killall -9 httpd"

*everything stops*

"aw shit."

<quickly tell everyone the main CVS server crashed, reboot it>

My boss goes "okay, *I* know you're BSing, what did you do?"

"killall isnt the same on IRIX as it is on linux"

he laughed.

(my desktop at the time was a P120 running Redhat 4.x.  All the
 developers had P2-300 HP boxes...)

Bill

--
Bill Bradford