[geeks] lunchtime poll - cilantro

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 18 16:40:27 CDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 04:54:06PM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:
> david at cantrell.org.uk writes:
>
> >I've been wondering what cilantro is all day, but now that I'm near a web
> >browser ... aaahhh, coriander.  I like to use it in fish dishes - for
> >example, I rub it in to trout, with a smidgeon of dill.  And no, it
> >doesn't taste like soap :-)
>
> I thought cilantro and coriander were different parts of the same
> plant? Maybe?

Yeah, Reagan and I figgered it out.

cilantro (in US English) == leaves == coriander (in British English)
coriander (in US English) == seeds == coriander seed (in British English)

I can't stand the seeds.  They taste how hospital wards smell - not of
soap, but disinfectant.  The leaves on the other hand - mm-hmmmm.

I once had a very interesting beer which had had a mixture of hops and
coriander (leaves) added in the barrels.

--
David Cantrell | root at alphacomplex.org | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

       Rip, Mix, Burn, unless you're using our latest and greatest
         operating system which we couldn't be arsed to complete

** I read encrypted mail first, so encrypt if your message is important **