[geeks] The Idea(tm)... Homebrew Terabytes Cheap

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 16 11:23:33 CDT 2001

What are you saying, you have 5 drives, and each backup tape is 2 Gig? What about a bigger tape drive (can a 10 Gig drive be *that* expensive)?

As for the frequency of backups, what is the difference between this month's month-end and next months beginning backup?

Finally, IDE drives are not designed to be bounced around like a backup tape is, so you can expect some reliability issues. Also, IDE drives are not carranted/proven to have a given shelf life, like tapes are.

Do you have a legal requirement to retain these backups or simply a business reason? WHat if you lose a backup?

Take a look at the Plan 9 filesystem, and ponder a similar system for you network - less-freqently used file migrate from RAM to HD to Optical backup. The trick is only one copy of a given file is retained anywhere in the system.

A previous employer ran backups to optical drives, overwriting the previous backup, to lower media cost.

But, in the end, I think a large tape drive, maybe hanging off a box with a large enough work area on the local HD to buffer the backups would be a fine solution.
(e.g. if your backup set is 20 Gigabytes, get a cheap IDE RAID solution 2x 20+ Gig IDE drives, hanging off the IDE chain, with a 20 Gig tape drive hanging off a SCSI chain - backups flow from the workstations to the server HD RAID array, then the RAID array is read into the tape drive. The tape gets secured, the RAID array is for "hot" backups, and the total cost shold be a fraction of the $20 you estimated for a "wall" of IDE drives)

HTH,

Ken