[geeks] The Idea(tm)... Homebrew Terabytes Cheap

Chris Byrne geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 13 16:13:27 CDT 2001

Jody,

First of all you work for tattered cover? Kick ass, that is the coolset book
store. I always go every time I'm in Denver, even though the parking is a
pain (or at least it was last time I was there about a year ago). I think we
had to park in the safeway down the street and walk over.

Anyway, managing a huge amount of storage isn't as simple as it seems. While
I admit they cost far more than they should, there really is a reason that
large scale storage arrays cost mucho bucks. The biggest problems here are
bus bandwidth and filesystem management.

There's just no way you can split up the limited badwidth of a. the system
bus and b. the drive controllers over that many drives efficiently. I've
tried sticking 16 drives on a single general purpose system and have it max
out at less than 5% of the sustained throughput capabilites of each drive.

And that assumes your bus functions properly with that many devices attached
to it, and that you don't exceed your cable length limit. I've never tried
putting that many devices on a single bus before, but my gut feeling is that
90+ devices (80 drives, 10 plexes, plus all the SCSI cards and any other
ancillary cards) isn't going to work.

Also you are gonna need a HONKING power supply in each box. Up until
recently I would have said that'd be a problem, but enermax just came out
with a truly kick ass 650 watt PS with two fans and 16 power taps.

The other issue is filesystem/volume management (actually add scheduling of
backups to maximize performance to that as well)
That's mostly an administrative issue on the order of "do I want to take the
admin bandwidth to handle volume and backup management manually, or do I
want to buy expensive volume management software ala veritas, or do I want
to hack an opensource tool to work in this somewhat exceptional
environment".

I went through this last year with StorageWay, and we came to the conclusion
that with all of the factors weighd in, it's actually cheaper to buy a
serious storage array than to try and build and maintain one yourself.

Now if they woyuld jsut make one that didnt cost $250k

Actually the good news is, you can often find mid range storage arrays on
EBay for pretty reasonable prices. Add a veritas license, and a machine to
control the thing, and for the same $20k you were talking about you can have
a hitachi or EMC (probably a 1 TB array rather than a 3 TB)

Chris Byrne