[geeks] Citrix Stuff.....

Earl Baugh geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 13 15:01:52 CDT 2001

Got a question about this Citrix stuff.   I purchased a couple of Wyse ICA
(I think that's the acronym) hardware "terminals" (i.e. a NICE little box,
with
VGA connection, network port, and standard PC kbd and mouse ports) thinking
that hey, they'd be nice to put in place near the TV's around the house (and
with a couple of VGA-TV adapters I can get, a wireless keyboard and mouse)
I could have net access in the Den, upstairs, etc. for that casual "I'm
bored" web
surfing type activity (instead of heading down to the computer room 1st
floor).

But much to my dismay, I can't find any "relatively inexpensive" way to
drive these
bastards.   I'd like to keep reasonably legal here.  I've got a NT 4.0
workstation
box that could function as the server (though I realized I may have to
upgrade it to NT server...)
I looked at the UNIX version of a Citrix server, which looked pretty good, but
again too expensive for simple home use.  I spoke to some Citrix reps at
the Atlanta
  Unix User Group, and pretty much got told, "well, our solution is for
large configurations, in
the 100's of users, where our server cost is much less than the management
and support
of a box-per-user" which pretty much translated to "home users, with a few
terminals, you're
out of luck"

They  make "decent" telnet boxes (which does have usefulness....but not as
much as
a web browser capable solution).

Anybody got a source, even if it's not the most current version of
something (cause the
boxes I have aren't the most current Wyse made/makes), that would allow me
to make
these things useful?

Earl