[geeks] VPN suggestions

James Fogg geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 13 09:46:21 CDT 2001

I've seen lots of clients like this. They all come running when some kid (or
competitor) shreds their network "security". Do them and yourself a favor and
explain what you know about security (I'm assuming you do know of what you
sell). When they realize how vulnerable they are ask them to estimate the
dollar value of their data.

You are a *consultant*, so consult with them and don't worry about a hardware
sale. Besides, hardware never stopped an experienced hacker, only slows them
down a bit.

 On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, THOU SPAKE:
> Okay, I need tips here.
>
> I have a consulting client that needs a "VPN" setup.
>
> Basically, his people need to be able to connect to the
> office network somehow, and through that, access files that
> sit on various office PCs and a central fileserver through
> Windows filesharing networking (it sucks, but they've been
> using it for years now, and arent keen to major changes).
>
> All remote users have broadband connections, so speed isnt
> an issue.  However, there's ONE catch:
>
> They dont have any kind of a central "router" or "gateway" -
> they've just got a SDSL connection from their ISP and their
> systems are basically sitting ducks on the 'Net, using only
> password authentication for the file sharing.
>
> I can probably switch them to some kind of NAT setup (private
> network sitting behind a single box that has a "real" IP), but
> how much of a wrench will this throw into the "Remote access to
> network for filesharing" machine?
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.  I'm trying to do this as cheap
> as possible (I've thought of using a PPro or older PII box
> with OpenBSD and Samba..). I quoted them a nice hardware solution
> from Network Associates for around $2500, and got laughed at...
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Bradford
> mrbill at mrbill.net
> Austin, TX

	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com