[geeks] Messy other stuff

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 11 09:43:59 CDT 2001

There are some deeply planted installations of OS/2 in many applications, typically areas like banking and insurance.

I was shocked/amazed the other day at my bank - the teller machine for the drive-up window was an IBM PS/2 Model 70 (a 386 machine, IIRC, if not, a 486 at best).

I was not amazed that the machine was running (they were well designed), but that they were still in use. I wonder if they follow the Dave McGuire model and have a small warehouse full system bought for a few dollars each...

Ken