[geeks] A favor concerning my dog

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Apr 2 14:49:22 CDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 11:26:00AM -0700, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> --- Reagen Ward <ward at zilla.nu> wrote:
> > Warning:  this has nothing to do with geeks.
>
> It has everything to do with geeks :) [ keep reading ]
>
> > I'm trying to get my dog on the Jones Soda label.  I've submitted a
> > photo and now folks must rate it.
>
> OK, Done... you're abusing your power as an ueber-geek by enlisting
> your friends to throw a web-based poll. You're abusing your superior
> intellect in reaching out to dozens of 'friends' to help you in your
> plans to take over the world. I don't know of anything much geekier
> than that.

Not only that, but friends who have the knowledge to defeat pretty nearly
any anti-ballot-stuffing measures the site may have taken.  One of my
crowning achievements as an Evil Haxx0r was getting Belle and Sebastian
(obscure indie band) an award by finding ways around the voting system
the BBC were using.  They won "best new artist".  They had been around
for at least three years by then and had two albums out.  At the
televised awards ceremony, everyone - including the band - looked rather
surprised at the result.

And no, I *haven't* done that in this poll.  In fact I haven't even voted
because I have *no* idea what "Jones Soda" is.

--
David Cantrell | root at alphacomplex.org | http://www.cantrell.org.uk/david/

    This is a signature.  There are many like it but this one is mine.

** I read encrypted mail first, so encrypt if your message is important **